Thursday, February 26, 2009

Jamaal's Camera Pics of Me in Action: This is a HOOT!

I didn't realize it at the time, but Jamaal was busy conducting a little photo shoot of his own while I was creating Caprice's portfolio images last Saturday.  It turns out he was sweet enough to capture a few of me in action, so I thought I'd post a few of them here for you to "enjoy"!

This first pic isn't a very high resolution image, but at least it gives you a pretty good idea what a session in Deep Ellum is like.  You can't be shy! That's for sure. Getting dressed in the back of the Tahoe is all part of the game! 

Of course, I'm on hand to tuck in all the straps, help apply the makeup, assist in wardrobe selections, and even divert the attention of passersby, if need be.  (Did I mention exposed bra straps are a HUGE pet peeve of mine?  Call me old-fashioned.  I'm a prude that way.)

If you've ever wondered what I wear on a typical photo session, this will be a good eye opener for you.  Now, IF I were shooting for a high profile commercial client, I'd be much more dressed up than what you see below.  BUT, since I knew going into this session in Deep Ellum that I'd be spending quite a bit of time flat on my back on the cement (and quite possibly sitting neck-to-neck with rubble), I chose a much more casual "I don't care if this gets ruined" get-up.  

I know I'm supposed to look professional and all (and I do make an effort), but I've ruined one too many pair of nice pants while on a session.  In fact, the jeans I'm wearing in these images had already gotten stained from a previous session on an elevated train track.  What I won't do to capture that perfect shot, huh!

Also, take a good look at my shoes.  I don't EVER wear heels on a session.  The more flat-footed I can be, the crisper and sharper my images will turn out.  It's all about keeping a steady hand and nothing beats a comfy pair of tennis shoes for getting that job done.  I'm the worst at walking in heels anyway, so why play with fire?  Besides, with tennis shoes on I'm ready to BOLT in case I have to run for my life!  Try doing that in stilettos!

What's in my camera bag?  On this shoot I started out with my 24-70 mm f/2.8.  Since it was slightly overcast, I opted for this lighter lens so I could shoot at lower shutter speeds if needed.  I quickly changed to my 70-200 mm f/2.8; however, as I found it allowed me to stay in one place to get both the close-ups and the full length shots from a safer distance. I was also able to work much more efficiently - which was important, because many times I was lying in the middle of the street.  I also keep my 50 mm f/1.4 in my bag in case I come across low light situations where the extra f-stop is crucial.  Especially around sunset, that larger f-stop buys me a little extra time.

You'll also see that each lens I use has a lens hood (or lens shade) attached to it.  This helps to prevent sun glare.  You should have one of these for each lens you own - without exception.  (Just remember to remove it if you are using your flash.)  You'll also see my white-balance card hanging around my neck.  That allows me to ensure perfect color during post-processing.  (Click on the link to learn more about this essential tool.)  

Well, that's about it (other than extra batteries, extra memory cards, and lens cleaning cloths).  Easy Peasy!

Below are two sequence collages to show you the progression of how I set up a couple of my shots last week.  Remember these two gorgeous shots of Caprice that I posted last Saturday?  Thanks to Jamaal and his trusty camera phone, you can see what these shots looked like from behind the lens and from what perspective they were created.  (Now, be honest.  Would you have EVER guessed this first image of Caprice was shot by a dumpster?)



You'll notice in both of these series of shots that I am either leaning against the fence, or leaning against the wall to steady myself.  Both hands are always on the camera and lens.  Good form is everything, right Dina?

There you have it.  Me in action!  I hope you enjoyed your sneak peak into the life of Tammy Labuda - Dallas Urban Photographer (for a day, anyway).

Enjoy your weekend, everyone.  I hope this post inspires you to see outside the box.  And, I'm pretty sure you'll never look at a trash dumpster quite the same :)

2 comments:

Kelly Wills said...

So fun! I love it!

Alyssa said...

This is so neat to see what is on both sides of the camera!