Thursday, January 1, 2009

Woes of the Traveling Photographer

I realized today on my flight to Chicago just how much I miss being able to fly solo without having to check my bags.  Now that I'm a photographer, my camera bag eats up ALL my carry-on quota.  (Okay, I can stuff a few things in my purse, but not much other than my make-up bag and a couple magazines).  

It's sad, but I'm having to come to terms with the fact that there's simply NO WAY to avoid the $15 checked baggage fee now that I insist on traveling everywhere with my camera and all my other gear.

Here's a few possible solutions I came up with:

1. I could live in the same outfit for four days.

2. I could rent camera equipment for my out of town sessions. (Suddenly the $15 checked baggage fee doesn't sound so bad, does it?)

3. I could ship my luggage ahead of my flight.

Or...

4. I could shop for new clothes when I arrive at my destination and then donate them to charity before I leave town.

5.  I could leave my camera at home and just use my camera phone. (Hey, don't laugh.  My professor says there's actually a fashion photographer in New York who takes commercial shots with their camera phone while on a job.  It could work.)

Okay, so I need some real solutions here.  My aching back would really appreciate a few good ideas.  How about you other photographers out there?  Do you have any space saving ideas for traveling light (and fashionable) WITH your camera gear in tow?  

Send them my way!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much are you traveling with?! Show us a picture so we can get a visual of what you're talking about!

Stephanie Wilson said...

Tammy, pay the $15! you are worth it. tax right off anyways right?