Friday, January 30, 2009

Update on Me

If it seems things have been slowing down even more on my blog lately, there's good reason.  My son Stephen has been going through some very challenging days these past two weeks.  He's seen three doctors and we've received three different diagnosis for what seems to be dizzy spells that he has occasionally during the day and quite frequently during the night. We are still trying to get to the bottom of what is going on.

I also recently decided to take my daughter out of her Mother's Day Out program.  She's been sick quite a bit lately and is generally just having a difficult time being away from home. Thursday was her last day. 

Little did I know that Stephen would be going through all this scary stuff at the exact same time.  Now, I'm having to scramble to find someone to watch Alden every time we run out to see another doctor with Stephen.  I'm realizing how CHEAP daycare is compared to what babysitters are charging these days.  While I'm tempted to enroll her right back in, I know I have to continue to do what's best for her.  

Thankfully, we are blessed with so many sweet friends who have offered to watch Alden for us these past few days.  God is good.  I'm learning first-hand how everything seems to fall into place when we make the right decisions.  That is true for my personal life, and that is true in my business as well.

You may remember reading a couple posts back that I had decided to scale this blog back a bit anyway - to focus more on family.  It seems my timing for that decision was perfect.  While it came before Stephen Jr. started having these "episodes" and before I decided to take Alden out of day care, I now know it couldn't have been a more inspired decision.

That certainly doesn't mean that I don't still feel very drawn to this blog and to all of you who check in from time to time.  Even with everything going on at home I still think about blogging and my business ALL the time.  

So, what do I think about when it comes to my business?  What random deep thoughts do I entertain throughout the day?  I know you're just itching to know, so I thought I'd share a few of those deep thoughts with you today.  

1.  I have a Love/Hate relationship with my commitment NOT to buy camera equipment unless I can pay for it with money I've earned through my own photography business.  

I LOVE it, because it may be the best advice Terry ever taught us in our classes.  Too many photographers get themselves into major financial trouble buying all sorts of gear that they end up never even using.

Terry encouraged us to stick with what we have, make that work, and get out there and make money with the equipment we have already before purchasing additional gear.  "Don't buy it unless you can buy it with money earned from your business," he would say.  It really is wise advice.

Now, to those of you just starting out.  Of course there will be an initial investment that you will need to make just to get started.  You may very well have to make some sacrifices just to get to the point where you can start making money.  Even so, I encourage you to sit down and figure out the least amount of equipment needed to get started - the bare bones so to say. 

You'll need a good camera, a computer, editing software, at least one good lens, and quite possibly some professional training.  If you'd like some input on all that, please, feel free to contact me.

Now...on to what I HATE about that conviction of mine.  I hate it because I REALLY want a new camera - especially after all the research I've done.  A new camera will significantly expand my creative potential, and it's hard for me to wait for that. 

It's also hard for me to see other photographers upgrading to their new cameras knowing that it may very well be a while before I can get my hands on one of my own.  I have this silly fear that I'm going to fall behind.  Thankfully, I snap out of that nonsense and come to my senses long enough to realize that I am doing pretty darn good with what I do have!  I have more than enough to get me to where I need to be.  That little dose of sanity keeps me from pulling out my credit card and placing a premature order on Amazon.  

In the meantime, I've decided that I should use this time to master the basics - like how to use my current camera for sports and action photography.  And, boy, after that swim meet today I now know just how much I have to learn.  The way I see it, if I can learn every thing there is to learn about my current camera, the transition to a new one will be that much smoother - and the result that much more impressive.

There's still many more thoughts to cover, so let's move on:

2. In light of #1, I spend quite a bit of time dreaming up marketing strategies to make money (in ways that take the least amount of time away from my family) so I CAN buy that new camera.  I just might spring some of those on you in the next week or two...

3. To Photoshop or not to Photoshop?  That is the question.  In looking at other photographer's blogs and websites recently, I've noticed that I have only skimmed the surface in what Photoshop can do.  I see all these cool textures, overlays, and techniques and I think to myself, "Man, do I have a lot to learn!"  Or, do I?

While I love the creative options these various techniques offer, I'm not all that convinced they are for me.  I compare my work to some of these other techniques and I'm beginning to think that I rather prefer my relatively unPhotoshopped look.  It has become what defines me as a photographer.  It's very much my style.  And, I LIKE it!  There's a simplicity, cleanness, and purity to my work that couples beautifully with the honest expressions and emotions on the faces of my clients.  

Here's my conclusion and advice on the matter: Unless you can incorporate these techniques and actions into your personal style, then don't spend the money.  Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean YOU need to do it.  Take time to define your style.  Determine what it is that makes you unique and different.  If an action, overlay or photoshop technique will enhance that style and help to develop that style, then go for it.  But, by all means, stay true to who you are. 

With that said, I still want to play around with some of those techniques and try to learn more about what my current Photoshop software has to offer.  There's so much fun stuff to learn.  And, in learning new things, you often discover something about yourself that you never knew before.  I never even used to know how to shoot manually.  Just look at the creative doors that has opened up for me!

4.  To that end, my goal this year is to start thinking outside the box - creatively speaking.  What is it that intimidates me about the photography industry?  It's time to overcome those fears.  It's time to dip my toes into the water and learn how to swim.  I have in my mind at least one major goal for this year.  Come rain or shine, I WILL make progress - and my portfolio will show it.

5. I've also been thinking lately that I hope I am not letting down a few of my friends who check my blog for tips and lessons.  I'm hoping that they will still check in on me - even if I am posting fewer and fewer pictures from recent sessions and only blogging once a week.  It's still very much on my heart to mentor and teach people.  It may seem that I am mostly only offering photography tips, but deep in my heart it is really about encouraging and equipping others to reach their dreams.  

Do I worry that maybe I am creating my own competition by teaching you what I know?  Only when my husband suggests that it might happen.  Maybe I am.  Even so, I care to think about it this way:  In equipping others to be their best, I in turn will only grow stronger myself.   When I hear about your passion for photography, it makes me a better photographer.  It causes my passion to grow.  When I see you master a new technique, your progress in turn inspires me to reach my own goals.  

I really hope that spirit comes across.

Before I sign off, there's one last deep thought I'd like to share with you. And, it's a Big One:

6.  It is my goal to make my passion for my faith and family a higher priority than my passion for photography.  I can get so engrossed in this business of mine that I find it occupying my thoughts and time more than I care to admit.  I want my heart to have that same passion for my family.  I love them, I truly do, but if I'm honest I have to admit my actions don't always speak those words.  All too often I've chosen time with my computer over time with my husband and children.

Sure, as long as I am in business, I will HAVE to spend some time, but my goal is to get to a point where my heart pulls me toward my family - NOT toward my photography - no matter how passionate I am about it or how good for me the creative outlet is.   I want my loved ones to occupy my thoughts and dreams.  Dreaming about and investing in my business are all wonderful things, but not if it means my family has to wait around for me to make time for them.

Maybe this was more information than you needed.  I share it in the hopes it will help you establish healthy boundaries in your own business and personal lives.  Passions are wonderful, but balance is key.  Terry warned us several times in class that he knows several cases where Photoshop was the cause of a failed marriage.  Don't let it happen to you.  

Until next week...Stay Grounded.  Spend Wisely.  Dream Big.  Conquer Fears.  Love Well.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Thank you for being authentic. There is such beauty in your choice to be intentional with your time.

Brunnerpartyof5 said...

Well done, friend. God has been faithful to refine you and you have been faithful to yield to the furnace. There will much temptation these next days, weeks, and months. But know that your comments today have created a true accountability.

Sorry I never got back with you. Wish we could meet up at the park and let the little one play while we chat. Eventually.