Saturday, January 10, 2009

Barbara J. Miner: Milwaukee Photographer and Writer



I recently traveled to Milwaukee, Wisconsin for my cousin Mike's wedding.  While I was not the photographer hired to cover the event, I had my camera on hand to grab a few candids for the family.  Before the wedding started I approached the photographer's assistant (who happened to be her husband) and asked if it would be okay if I took my annoyingly huge (obviously not a point-and shoot) camera out during the ceremony to grab a few shots.  Their response was so inspiring, I just had to blog about it.

With a huge grin that almost reached out to hug me, they unanimously replied, "You bet!  There can never be enough pictures at a wedding!"  They didn't ask me to sign a release or utter some half-hearted, "Well, I guess so."  They didn't warn me to stay out of the way. I could tell they only had the Bride and Groom's best interest at heart. They in all sincerity were among some of the most gracious photographers I've yet to come across.  In this crazy competitive industry, it was a great reminder to me of how to conduct myself in my own business.

I grabbed this shot above of Barbara during the reception.  She was such a ham!  I just loved her!  All through the reception I watched her in action.  It was fun to see her "seeing" the same shots I saw.  She had such great energy and wasn't afraid to get down on the ground to get the most creative viewpoint.  I can't wait to see her images from the wedding.

If you live in the upper Midwest and are looking for a fantastic individual and artist to photograph your next event, drop Barbara an email.  You'll be glad you did.  You can email Barbara at miner.bjm@gmail.com

While Barbara was busy covering everything from the ceremony to the wild and crazy Irish dancing, I focussed on more intimate family shots and enjoyed my time with cousins and other family I rarely get to see. I'll post my favorite images next week.

Speaking of family, my New Year's Resolution is to spend more time with mine.  On that note, I wanted to let you all know that I am scaling back my blog a tad.  I'll still be posting new pics and tips from time to time, but my goal is to post no more than once a week - maybe even less.  
Please know that I really appreciate all of you who take time out of your busy schedules to read my blog and view my pictures.  It means so much to me.  I'm not going anywhere, just taking better control over my schedule and making my family life a higher priority.

Until next time...

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

What an awesome example Barbara is! I love what you've been doing on here and am glad that you are not giving it up completely, and I support your commitment to spend more time loving on your sweet family.

Anonymous said...

Neat blog....you are soo inspiring